Volunteering at the Balloon Fiesta
BECOME A BALLOON FIESTA NAVIGATOR!
The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta is looking for upbeat, enthusiastic, caring people to join our team of Navigators!
Balloon Fiesta is large and complex, and we depend on over 900 volunteers to help before, during and after. These volunteers, called "Navigators," are critical to every area of operations. They provide guest services, balloon coordination and safety, set-up and logistics, and more in over 40 different areas. This variety of needs allows just about any person, with any skills, talents or interests, to experience Balloon Fiesta from a new perspective.
Some areas may have minimum shift and additional training requirements.
These are the areas where we currently need Navigators:
- Chase Crew Parking Lot Attendants – Balloon Fiesta needs Chase Crew Parking Lot Attendants. Tasks include the directing car parking in our north and south chase crew lots.
- Greeters – Join our team of Greeters! Also known as the Pink Flamingos, Balloon Fiesta Greeters welcome guests with warmth and enthusiasm. They greet the guests as they enter admission gates, hand out our "Survival Guide" maps, and answer questions, ensuring that guests have a wonderful first-impression of Fiesta!
- Information Booths – Assist Balloon Fiesta guests with questions at 1 of our 3 booths, or be one of our a "mobile" Information Navigators roaming around the event, answering questions for people in the crowd. Meet people from around the world!
- Navigator Hospitality Tent – This is brand new this year, offering Navigators a place to eat, rest, catch up on pertinent information, and for recruitment of new Navigators. Some light foodservice involved. With over 1,000 Navigators throughout Balloon Fiesta, you're bound to make friends from around the world!
- Park & Ride – Balloon Fiesta Park & Ride volunteers assist people upon their arrival at Balloon Fiesta by offloading them from busses, and offering direction to the the launch field. Tasks also include assisting people into the correct lines when they leave.
- Bike Valet - Encourage alternative travel and help our guests check in their bicycles upon arrival. Much like a coat or vehicle valet, Bike Valet checks in the bicycle, tags it then returns it to the owner when they leave.
- Pilot Hospitality - We need two strong morning people to help feed the pilots and their crew, assist with foodservice set-up, and support the team leader for this area with inventory and organization. Work in this area starts at 3:00 a.m., but is finished by about 7:30 a.m.
Shift times for vary from area to area. Below are the hours for event sessions for the positions avbove. Shifts likely reflect these hours, beginning slightly before the session, and ending slighly afterward.
Saturday, Oct. 4 - A.M. Session (5:30 – 11 a.m.); P.M. Session (3:30 – 9:00 p.m.)
Sunday, Oct. 5 - A.M. Session (5:30 – 11 a.m.); P.M. Session (3:30 – 9:00 p.m.)
Monday, Oct. 6 - A.M. Session Only (5:30 – 11 a.m.)
Tuesday, Oct. 7 - A.M. Session Only (5:30 – 11 a.m.)
Wednesday, Oct. 8 - A.M. Session Only (5:30 – 11 a.m.)
Thursday, Oct. 9 - A.M. Session (5:30 – 11 a.m.); P.M. Session (3:30 – 9:00 p.m.)
Friday, Oct. 10 - A.M. Session (5:30 – 11 a.m.); P.M. Session (3:30 – 9:00 p.m.)
Saturday, Oct. 11 - A.M. Session (5:30 – 11 a.m.); P.M. Session (3:30 – 9:00 p.m.)
Sunday, Oct. 12 - A.M. Session Only (5:30 – 11 a.m.)
Music Fiesta Ushers – We need help at the 2014 Music Fiesta on Saturday, Oct. 11th. Tasks include set-up and ushering. Music Fiesta takes place between balloon sessions, so Navigators can also work in other areas and still help with Music Fiesta.
Music Fiesta shifts are 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., and 2:00-6:00 p.m.
To register to be a Balloon Fiesta Navigator, please complete this form: NAVIGATOR REGISTRATION. If you have further questions about being a Navigator, contact Sandy Wylie, Event Coordinator, at (505) 821-1000, Ext. 109 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be advised that the most secure way to submit your personal information is by using the online form submission above. However, if you are unable to access this form online, please print one of the following files:
Navigator Registration in .pdf format
Navigator Registration in Word format
Mail this form to: AIBF - Event Coordinator, 4401 Alameda Blvd. NE, Albuquerque, NM 87113
Fax to (505) 828-2887
Email to email@example.com
Please note that AIBF is unable to accept volunteers under the age of 13. Volunteers between the ages of 13-18 must be accompanied by an adult.
OTHER TYPES OF VOLUNTEERS
Chase Crew is a fun way to assist pilots in inflating, deflating and chasing their balloons. Click here for that application: Crew Registration. If you have questions about being part of a Chase Crew, contact Randy Myklebust, Pilot Coordinator, at (505) 821-1000, Ext. 104 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Many non-profit groups are looking for ways to raise money for their organization. Balloon Fiesta has a number of areas that utilize this pool of labor, while a donation is made to the organization.
Some of those areas include:
Admissions, parking and fee-for-parking. If your group would like to help in one of these areas,
contact Elaine Nelson, Transportation Manager, at (505) 821-1000 or email@example.com
Merchandise Sales. If your group would like to help in this area, contact Lisa Mulder, Merchandise Manager, at (505) 821-1000 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For other group inquiries, contact Sandy Wylie, Event Coordinator, at (505) 821-1000, Ext. 109 or email@example.com
We utilize volunteers in the all official positions - Launch Directors, Scoring, Weather, and Safety Officials, Land-Owner Relations, and more. Specific skills and experience is required for these positions. If you are interested in learning more, contact Sandy Wylie, Event Coordinator, at (505) 821-1000, Ext. 109 or firstname.lastname@example.org
ARE YOU VISITING FROM OUT-OF-STATE?
Many of our Navigators travel to Balloon Fiesta from outside New Mexico - a popular trend termed "Volun-Tourism." In fact, up to 30% of Balloon Fiesta Navigators hail from somewhere outside of New Mexico. If you will be visiting Albuquerque and the Balloon Fiesta for the first time, you may find this information to be helpful: Visiting Navigator Information.
Thank you for your interest!
Sandy Wylie, Event Coordinator
Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta